Thursday, January 08, 2009

GGGRRRRRrrrrr

Just in case you haven't heard by now, please go look at this link.

In addition to putting most WAHM out of business, this also means that used children's clothing will be illegal to sell after February 10th...virtually all of the moms I know rely on this as a way to cloth their littles and not have to work a second job. I'm going to keep this short, since this is a topic that really gets me ranting, and I don't want to do that here. So. Please consider signing this... This is soooo poorly thought out. :(

I found a link with the actual law, if anyone wants to see it. I don't have time right now to read it, but I plan to have my far-better-slept Hubby give it a look over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may make you happier: http://consumerist.com/5126354/hooray-cpsc-agrees-to-exempt-some-natural-items-from-product-safety-act

Sarah said...

I have been so unhappy about this lately too. But, I heard there is some talk of exceptions if clothing is all natural fibers. I really hope so. This is completely ridiculous. It seems that it is getting more into the news now though since there was a report on it on our local t.v. station tonight. Hopefully this won't go into action. :(

Peggy said...

I, too, am optimistic they will fix this. Obviously it was not well thought through. I do think getting the word out, even via the Handmade teddy bear button on our blogs is helping bring awareness...and intelligence...to the proposal.

Anonymous said...

As always, "we the people" need to use our power. Every time a law gets enacted, "we the people" can do something about it if we don't like it.

Write your US Representative and both Senators. Most of them are very aware of popular opinion. If enough people call or write and complain, they will listen. If all of them are getting complaints, they will intervene.

Happens all the time, we just have to care enough to do it.

I would anticipate a LOT of this kind of activism coming up over the next couple of years (pent up demand at the federal level) and if we don't learn to effectivedly fight it, we will face a lot of new infringements that we won't like.

There are no small fights.