Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Another Ta-DA! :-)

Well, today was a major one...for those who know me personally, it's *HUGE* really...What did I do, you ask? I made meatballs!! :) Like, started with raw meat and eggs in a bowl and everything. Now, my mom has often made meatballs and meatloaf, but somehow I always wormed my way out of helping, and wouldn't even watch my sister do it. (I think part of her enthusiasm was due to my aversion! lol) So other than knowing the basics and asking my mom a few questions, I embarked into the complete unknown. A very nasty, squoogy (new word!), COLD unknown...that I can now say isn't an unknown! ;-) And you know what? They actually worked! They look like meatballs, and taste like meatballs and much to my delight, smell like meatballs. I must say that was the real motivation for doing this...there is nothing like that smell!

Here's my very own meatball recipe...

TILLY'S MEATBALL RECIPE

2lbs. lean ground beef
1lb. sausage
1lb. plain ground pork
2-3 Tablespoons diced garlic
1 small onion, diced
4 eggs (if you change the amounts, just use 1 egg/lb. of meat)

Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix well with hands, squishing everything together, and thoroughly blending eggs into meat. Roll into balls that are approximately golf ball sized (This happens to be what fits easiest into the palm of my hand), place on lined cookie sheet, just far enough apart to not touch.
Bake at 375* for aprox. 15 minutes, or until cooked all the way through (I just cut the largest ones in half to check.) Allow to cool completely, scrape off any of the mysterious stuff from the bottom, and either refrigerate or freeze for later use. I plan on putting about 20 into zip-locks and freezing them like that. I think it will be a convenient size to be able to pull out for spaghetti or subs. Oh, and this made around 100 meatballs. (Give or take some for "testing" purposes!)


I tried to take a picture of them all packaged up to freeze, but they didn't transfer properly...so just picture four rows of 5 meatballs in qt. sized zip-lock bags... :)

No comments: